I know I’m not alone when I say that I like candles/wax melts… basically anything that smells nice. It creates a comforting atmosphere and makes you feel good, right? I didn’t realize until this summer just how comforting the act of watching wax melt — and making my own videos of it — could be.
It sounds a little strange, doesn’t it? I think it’s why I’ve kept it on the down low until now. How do you explain to people that you take videos and pictures of wax melting for others to look at? Just like that, I guess.
Providing Comfort to Others
For me, it’s a form of ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response). In short; it’s relaxing. It makes me feel calm, and it was something that I was heavily invested in watching when my dog was unwell back in August. I still can’t quite explain what makes it so calming and satisfying to watch, I just know that it helped me calm down in the midst of many panic attacks when I didn’t know what was going on with Axle.
By October, I’d decided that I wanted to create my own Instagram feed to help others with anxiety and perhaps provide them with a bit of comfort like I experienced during those scary moments in August.
Let me tell you, it has been a blast! I have had so much fun getting to know others in the wax and ASMR community, and I’ve loved sharing my videos and photos with others. It’s my cozy little spot on the web where I hope to help others and create something beautiful at the same time. It’s truly the meaning of turning anxiety into art.
I’ve collected a little roundup of some of my favorite posts from the last month and a half. Have a look at them and see what you think. Do you they relax you? Do you enjoy watching them? Let me know!
- House Warming Wax Melts- Ice Cream Parlor – This was the first wax melt that I had that threw a lot of beautiful, swirling colors and I am still in love with it. I got this one as a free sample from an amazing Etsy shop, House Warming Wax Melts along with a clamshell of the scent “Bonfire” which is also amazing. Check out the Etsy Shop, there are some adorable melts there.
- South Bound Soap Company – Monster Jam – I love this one because it’s when I decided to periodically do wax videos with themes. I melted this one two days before Halloween as a way to celebrate the holiday and get things ghoulish. Check out South Bound Soap Company! They’ve got incredible stuff.
- Wonderberry Wax – Coconut Coast – This one slayed me. The fun thing about making these videos is never quite knowing what it’ll look like. How will the colors mix together or the glitter disperse? This one came out looking exactly like a sandy beach. Wonderberry Wax is fabulous. Give their site a visit.
- Bento Wax Co – Unruly Berries – This scent is hands down my favorite of the ones I’ve melted so far. It’s hard to even explain the scent, but it’s very musky and dark. Not in a “I’m choking on your Axe body spray” sort of way, either. Also, the colors melt in a pinwheel and remind me of The Joker. Give Bento Wax Co a visit on Instagram.
- SuperTarts – Slytherin – Finally, I melted this one on Sunday during the Harry Potter weekend marathon on Freeform. It seemed fitting and went with the theme idea. The pool totally looks like a Death Eater apparating too, doesn’t it?
I could go all day, but I wanted to feature 4-5 videos that I really enjoyed making and posting (and of course watching)! If you’d like to keep up with my wax melting adventures, you can follow me on Instagram at The Wax Pools.